Since 1798 when Dr. David Jenner developed the first vaccine against smallpox, the vaccine industry has seen its share of highs and lows. Presently, the vaccine field is experiencing dramatic growth due to the emergence of new technologies, increased public awareness and access to health care globally, and easing of some government restrictions. Sheffield brand products have been applied in the commercial manufacture of vaccines since the 1960s.
While vaccines can be prophylactic or therapeutic, the FDA prefers to classify them based on their origins. Such sources include animal, viral, or microbial/cellular. Examples would be fertilized chicken eggs (animal), Madin Darby Canine Kidney cells (viral), and Clostridia (microbial). Despite the historical prevalence of the chicken egg production method, the growing trend is to produce vaccines via cell systems, as these provide a multitude of advantages, not the least of which is shortened response times in the event of a pandemic.
Kerry offers product solutions that can be applied in nearly all stages of vaccine development and manufacture.
• Enhancement of cell growth and antigen generation in microbial systems (E. coli, S. cerevisiae, Clostridium, Pichia, etc…
• Enhancement of cell growth and antigen generation in viral systems (BHK, MDCK, MRC-5, VERO, CEF, etc…)
• Reduction or elimination of serum or other animal-derived components
• Vaccine formulation (stabilizers, adjuvants, diluents)
• Dedicated application services committed to developing customized solutions as needed
Please Use our formulator to find the right products for your specific application